Spiritual Forums - Spirits Journey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spirituality verses religion

4 posters

Go down

spirituality verses religion Empty spirituality verses religion

Post by Wind-Dancer September 24th 2009, 12:45 pm

There seems to be a big interest in the differences in spirituality and religion today.Both believe there is a higher power somewhere. That particular point makes them one in the same. So why do we try to point out the differences? Why cant we just all agree to be happy with the similarties?We all walk a path to get to where we need to be. Wars are fought over it , arguements are started over it and friendships lost over it. Why? We are all trying to find enlightment. Does it matter which path we take to reach it? I pray that we can all reconcile our differences.Let everyone follow their own path, since we are all trying to reach the same goal. Religion is a path to God. Spirituality is also a path to God. Does it matter that we all have differences in the approach ?
Wind-Dancer
Wind-Dancer
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 673
Hobbies : gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, reading
Tell us about yourself : Im half cherokee and half irish.Im very proud of my heritage. Im a rebel at heart.
Appreciation Points : 931
Registration date : 2008-10-09

Back to top Go down

spirituality verses religion Empty Re: spirituality verses religion

Post by Vanilla2 September 24th 2009, 1:15 pm

Is there a difference, as you so rightfully say, both mean to believe in something of a higher power. To have a strong faith in something surely must be better than having no faith in anything.
Vanilla2
Vanilla2
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 1209
Appreciation Points : 1613
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being September 24th 2009, 2:08 pm

Religion and Spirituality are very similar me and my girlfriend have gotten into heated debates on this subject, sometimes arguments. I will say that through my experiences Religion seems to be more structured, as with Spirituality i feel it encompasses all Religion, Beliefs, & Faiths. If there is some battle going on between Spirituality & Religion it is one that is not understood because Religion truly is of a spiritual nature then it must be a part of Spirituality as for Spirituality it would encompass all Religions, Beliefs, & Faiths.

In the past many people were dominated to believe and reform to certain Religious Beliefs, this could very well have something to do with the conflict in the world between Spirituality & Religion. Although people that consider themselves Spiritual can also be dominating the key word is Domination. If domination does not surface then all Religious people and Spiritual people can live peacefully with one another.

Some people that consider themselves Spiritual may feel that Religion is very Dominating.

But what i see is that it is more of a structured approach and very spiritual.

Some people that are Religious may feel that if a person does not follow in their religious beliefs that the person may not be living righteously.

But what i feel is that it is a more open minded approach and very spiritual.

So all in all they are both very Spiritual and will help the individual with their soul growth.

Many Blessings

Last edited by Spirit-Being on September 24th 2009, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male
Number of posts : 2293
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature
Appreciation Points : 2727
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteShaman September 24th 2009, 2:12 pm

I hear you Wind-Dancer and I agree in the case where I was asking someone else what the difference is (It’s none of my business) but on the other hand, I think we need to ask ourselves this question often.
Is our religion or our spiritual views conducive to the new world of oneness and peace we all desire?
The Taliban considers themselves religious, as does the Ku Klux Klan, as does many Christian groups who claim their way is the only way.
The list goes on and on. I think we have to come to a place where we put aside all of our religions and views and search within for truth unblended by what we have been taught. Lets face it, its not working!
I think that is where religion and spirituality leads to, going within. This we all have in common. TRUTH!

WhiteShaman

P.S. Vanilla if I could make a comment on having faith in something being better than not having faith in anything. I couldn’t disagree more. I have more respect for one who because of his own doubts serve no god or religion than one who does so ignorantly and blindly.
I mean no disrespect, I am just commenting on this. We need to know what we believe. We can know and prove everything we believe.
I think faith is a very misunderstood word. Test everything!
Peace.
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male
Number of posts : 495
Hobbies : Art, Nature, Volunteer work
Appreciation Points : 543
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla2 September 25th 2009, 4:55 am

You may have meant no disrespect WhiteShaman but I did find it to be both disrespectful and upsetting to my comment, what I always appreciated and respected about this forum was that we may not always agree with members comments, but we always respected them, and that this forum has always given out a positive rather than a negative response or no response at all, if it meant belittling someone else's belief.

I may have misinterpreted your message, and apologies if I have, but it comes across as if you have no respect for people who do have there beliefs over people who have none.

My personal belief is that God sent my Petra back to me twice, please dont take that belief away from me.
Vanilla2
Vanilla2
Administrators
Administrators

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteShaman September 25th 2009, 8:26 am

Vanilla2 wrote:You may have meant no disrespect WhiteShaman but I did find it to be both disrespectful and upsetting to my comment, what I always appreciated and respected about this forum was that we may not always agree with members comments, but we always respected them, and that this forum has always given out a positive rather than a negative response or no response at all, if it meant belittling someone else's belief.

I may have misinterpreted your message, and apologies if I have, but it comes across as if you have no respect for people who do have there beliefs over people who have none.

My personal belief is that God sent my Petra back to me twice, please dont take that belief away from me.

Dear Vanilla, please be assured that I meant no disrespect and I certainly didn’t mean what you stated:
you have no respect for people who do have there beliefs over people who have none.
I simply meant, I would rather see someone discover about themselves that they have no belief, one way or another, then blindly follow a belief that they have not discovered to be true within themselves. I am simply describing hypocrisy.

One of the things I love about forums is getting into conversations about people’s deep beliefs and discussing them in a way that is always civil and respectful. This is not to try and change someone’s beliefs, it is only to help bring our beliefs to the forefront and discuss them and understand them better for the spiritual growth of the both of us. These conversations could be respectfully negative or respectfully positive but in any case, having such conversations is one of the greatest benefits of forums in my opinion. To discuss our beliefs and share our experiences. To express our doubts and to express our joys.
If I have offended you, then by all means, I apologize and I will refrain from conversations of the like in the future.
But is that really what you want, for only those who agree with what you state to respond, to never hear what others believe in contrary to it? I’m just asking so that I can better know you and avoid any further misunderstandings.
In regards to anyone else here on this forum, please feel free to talk to me respectfully whether you agree or disagree with anything I say.
Don’t just not say anything, we are here to grow and help each other, as I see it, I want to hear from your souls with all of the emotion that it carries. We are spiritual brothers and sisters and we can say anything to each other and discuss it as friends with an understanding that opposing is not necessarily belittling.
Peace to you my sister and please accept my humble apologies Praise Praying Hugs
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being September 25th 2009, 1:03 pm

I need to say from the very start, when i began speaking openly on forums, i have always felt comfortable when people would agree with me, but when a response contradicted what i posted it really upset me greatly. This was a teaching for me, have i learned the lesson fully? no but each day i am learning that what i post does not mean that it is what others believe or feel to be true. Everything in our lives is an experience and will teach us many wonderful things. Also through my experiences i have been much more sensitive to others ideas and beliefs that it truly affected me and my beliefs, through these experiences, i realize that just being spiritual helps me to Let Go & Let God one thing i know without a doubt is that we are here to experience Gods Beauty which is the Truth.

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla2 September 26th 2009, 7:31 am

It was totally my misinterpretation of WhiteShamans posting, of which I make my apology Hugs

At the time it was fresh on my mind of a recent conversation with OH, on my asking if he had any spiritual beliefs he laughed/smirked and said no, to all my options and sugestions, which only confirmed what I already suspected, he does not know I am on here, he wouldn't understand. It just leaves me wondering whos life is better, I feel mine is, because I have spiritual beliefs to keep me going, but do i have the right to assume my life is better or purer than his. We are totally opposites, I have my strong faith in something, no one shall take that away, he has no faith in anything, he is negative/pessimistic/ and suspicious of many things and yet he is contented with his share of life.

I am posting this now because my head has become clearer.
Vanilla2
Vanilla2
Administrators
Administrators

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being September 26th 2009, 1:40 pm

Vanilla2 wrote:At the time it was fresh on my mind of a recent conversation with OH, on my asking if he had any spiritual beliefs he laughed/smirked and said no, to all my options and sugestions, which only confirmed what I already suspected, he does not know I am on here, he wouldn't understand. It just leaves me wondering whos life is better, I feel mine is, because I have spiritual beliefs to keep me going, but do i have the right to assume my life is better or purer than his. We are totally opposites, I have my strong faith in something, no one shall take that away, he has no faith in anything, he is negative/pessimistic/ and suspicious of many things and yet he is contented with his share of life.

I am posting this now because my head has become clearer.

You make a great point Vanilla2 this person that was in your life may have been giving off negative vibes and this is very tough to be around, and for me i have chosen to stay away from people who give of negative vibes. I feel it is like a poison. That is the reason why i am here speaking with all you Beautiful & Loving Friends :lovesigh: the energy here is very positive and we are all here learning and teaching each other. Although there are many times you could learn from other people that give off negative vibes, i know i have many times. There is always something to learn from each situation & each person, by no means does it mean hang out with a person that is giving off negative vibes. Maybe by our positive actions we can help them see their own faults. I am very happy that you have found some clarity each day is a new discovery.

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla2 September 26th 2009, 1:56 pm

Spirit-Being this person is still in my life and at times does drain me.Rolling Eyes
Vanilla2
Vanilla2
Administrators
Administrators

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteShaman September 26th 2009, 8:55 pm

Vanilla2 wrote:Spirit-Being this person is still in my life and at times does drain me.Rolling Eyes

Again, I feel impelled to share from my own life which in many ways was similar. As I look back thru all the problems and heartaches this type of relationship can cause, I can honestly say it was my biggest teacher.
We need to find that essence inside us that naturally loves each and every person or thing no matter what...unconditionally.....and then just let life happen!
Easier said than done..this I know...but well within our being!
Peace and Blessings,
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content