Spiritual Forums - Spirits Journey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Herbs

+3
Sparrowhawk
wyldeflower
Spirit-Being
7 posters

Go down

Herbs Empty Herbs

Post by Spirit-Being June 12th 2010, 10:01 am

This topic is dedicated to all herbs, please add your favorite herbs here and how you use them.

I truly Love Basil it is one of my favorite herbs to add to all types of meals, i use it on tomato sandwich, tomato sauces, and any dish that i feel Basil will go well with. If you use Basil please share how you use it in your dishes.

Here is a article i found on the web while looking for tips on when to pick and store Basil.

BASIL

Basil (Ocimum basilicum) is truly indispensible in the kitchen. Whether flavoring soups, stews, and egg dishes, sprinkled on tomatoes to zip up a sandwich, or as the main ingredient of pesto sauce to provide a mouth-watering accompaniment to pasta, fish, and chicken, basil is the king of savory herbs.

In the garden, basil is a fine ornamental and has a long history as a companion plant; it's supposed to improve the growth and flavor of tomatoes and help repel flying insects.

Basil Lore
Cultivated since antiquity, basil originated in India, where it was regarded as a sacred herb. The name comes from the Greek basileus meaning 'king.' In India, Hindus believed that if a leaf of basil was buried with them, it would get them into heaven. Basil was also sacred to the Gods Krishna, and Vishnu and is still found growing around temples. In Italy, basil was used as a signal for love; a pot of basil placed on the balcony meant that a woman was ready for her suitor to arrive. In England, basil was used to ward off insects and evil spirits.

Medically, basil has been used as a sedative, an expectorant, and a laxative but it is not used much in herbal preparations today. Still, adding basil leaves to food is an aid to digestion.

Growing Basil
Folklore holds that you have to curse the ground as you sow basil for it to grow well, but you can forego the cussing and still grow basil successfully. Its main requirements are sun and heat. Start basil seed indoors six weeks before the last frost date and don't transplant or set out until the ground is thoroughly warm. Basil won't tolerate cold! Pinch off the growing tips to make the plants bushier and remove all flower spikes to prolong your harvest.

Growing your own basil gives you a wonderful opportunity to experiment with different flavors. Many people insist that Genovese basil, an Italian strain which has dark green leaves up to 2 inches long, is the type you must use for superior pesto; others favor Greek basils, such as 'Spicy Globe' and 'Green Bouquet'. For a different flavor, you might want to try lemon, cinnamon or licorice basil. All are cultivars of Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum), an annual with fragrant leaves which grows up to 2 feet tall.

Harvesting and Storing Basil
Harvest basil by cutting off the growing tips every few weeks and taking the leaves, (leaving four sets of true leaves on the plant). Always pick the leaves from the top to encourage new growth. Wash and pat the leaves dry. Use immediately, or store by freezing; basil doesn't keep well in the fridge. If you must refrigerate it, put the stems of fresh-picked basil in a glass of water, and cover with a plastic bag; it will keep for about a week.

For pesto-making purposes, once I've washed the leaves and patted them dry, I simply put them into a freezer bag, date it, and pop it into the freezer. Then I can enjoy the taste of summer all season long. If I make too much pesto, (a rare event), it too can be frozen and thawed for use later on.

The most commonly recommended method for storing basil is to infuse the leaves in olive oil or vinegar. Drying basil leaves is not recommended as the leaves tend to brown. If you're determined to try this, don't use the oven or a microwave; basil releases its essential oils at 85 to 90 degrees F.

Using Basil
Basil is one of the few herbs whose flavor increases when it's cooked, so when you're using fresh leaves in your favorite dishes, always make sure you add them at the very end of the cooking process. Use fresh basil leaves for maximum flavor in tomato sauces, salads, vinegars, and eggs, and on lamb, fish, and poultry. Basil combines beautifully with garlic, is a zesty topping for pizza, and the perfect flavoring for pasta. No wonder basil is considered "the king of the savory herbs"!

http://www.gardenguides.com/514-indispensible-basil.html

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male
Number of posts : 2293
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature
Appreciation Points : 2727
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Herbs Empty Re: Herbs

Post by wyldeflower July 7th 2010, 3:31 pm

I like Dandelions they are very good for you and i take mine as a tea but they have multi purpose and the leaves also be used as a salad vegetable .
Everytime i feel bloated or out of sorts i reach for my dandelion leaf tea .
Therapeutics and Pharmacology: Taraxacum leaf is a very potent diuretic and is an excellent remedy for water retention and oedema, particularly when it is of cardiac origin, or hepatogenous oedema (ascites). Its action comparable to the drug Frusemide. The usual effect of a drug which stimulates kidney function is a loss of potassium from the body, which aggravates any existing cardiovascular problem. A high level of potassium is particularly desirable when digitalis heart drugs are being prescribed, because if potassium levels fall, the drugs will produce irritability of the heart muscle. Luckily, Taraxacum is one of the best natural sources of potassium and therefore is a perfectly balanced and safe diuretic. Taraxacum leaf may be applied to urinary disorders in general, especially where worsened by the presence of oliguria. It also has similar actions to the root, but to a lesser extent.

Taraxacum root is a gentle liver tonic and may be used to treat inflammation and congestion of the liver and gall bladder. It can be applied to gallstones, cholecystitis, hepatic and post-hepatic jaundice, congestive dyspepsia with constipation and other toxic conditions such as chronic joint and skin inflammations. The root contains bitter substances which are beneficial to the digestive process and also have an aperient effect. The sesquiterpene lactones may produce the choleretic action. The active principle is taraxacin, which is found in the whole herb, particularly the root, and stimulates bile secretion. The white sap may be applied directly to warts.

wyldeflower
wyldeflower

Female
Number of posts : 3
Hobbies : photography,cycling,walking,gardening,
Tell us about yourself : married and i am very down to earth and honest.
Appreciation Points : 5
Registration date : 2010-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrowhawk July 10th 2010, 12:57 pm

Horsetail
Red Clover
Feverfew
St. Johns Wort
St. Roberts Wort
Ginkgo Biloba
Lemon Balm
Goldenseal
Marshmallow
Milk Thistle
Motherwort
Gotu Kola
White Willow Bark
Cat's Claw
Valerian Root
Passion Flower
Scullcap
Eyebright
Peppermint
Chamomile

These are a few of my favorite herbs........
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk

Male
Number of posts : 111
Hobbies : Star gazing, nature hikes, finding secret spots
Tell us about yourself : I am...............what else is there?
Appreciation Points : 167
Registration date : 2010-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being July 13th 2010, 1:00 pm

Thanks wyldeflower, i like the idea of using Dandellions but are they safe to just pick from the yard and use as is? or do i buy them from a Health Food store?

I see many Dandellions during the spring and some of the summer months.

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being July 13th 2010, 1:02 pm

Thanks Sparrowhawk, some of the herbs i haven't heard of before, i would very much like to try some of these, can i get these in a Health Food Store?

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrowhawk July 15th 2010, 10:35 am

Spirit-Being wrote:Thanks Sparrowhawk, some of the herbs i haven't heard of before, i would very much like to try some of these, can i get these in a Health Food Store?

Many Blessings

Many of them yes.

Some, not likely.....

Horsetail is one I only could find on the internet.....and only at one place.

Then I found it growing all over! Now I collect my own.

Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by d-knots August 8th 2010, 11:06 pm

yeah,
the holistic/organic store
near me sells
Dandelion tea
i have to check the brand......

How about SAGE
my neighbor has his herbs in his garden
outside my door...LOL

love his sage
it's a thick leaf silvery-mintygreen in color
and awesomely aromatic...spicy

but allergies may kick in.... Sad

Keep it coming
LOVE ITLIVE ITGROW IT...LOL
d-knots
d-knots
Administrators
Administrators

Number of posts : 760
Appreciation Points : 799
Registration date : 2008-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrowhawk August 9th 2010, 10:33 am

"No man should grow old if Sage is growing in his backyard"
-Author slips my mind

Sage is a great rejuvenating herb!

Allergies.....hmmm, I use to have them but they are gone.

What makes allergies go away????

Complete body-mind detox!

Took a year or so ......

3 day apple fasts followed at night with a couple spoonfuls of extra virgin olive oil.

10 day apple fasts if you can stand it!

I lasted 14 days of just apples.......

Burned off 20 pounds of excess weight!

Apples take more calories to digest then you get from them.......

Olive oil cleans the lymph fluids!

Walk, Sun, Nature, Swim!

Allergies went, allergy meds went too!

Colds, flus were conquered too!

Cold meds went........bye bye

Mood began to soar with the birds and rest like them too!

7 years to replace every atom in the body.

Use the best "atoms" you can find!

Deer eat the same herbs I collect!!!

Deer are smarter then any doctor I ever met.

Deer Doctor........hmmmmmm???? lol~

Last edited by Sparrowhawk on September 11th 2010, 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by d-knots August 14th 2010, 4:41 pm

LOL..... Thank You
SH
d-knots
d-knots
Administrators
Administrators

Back to top Go down

Herbs Empty ALFALFA

Post by NICE October 1st 2010, 3:37 am

Hi Ya

ALFALFA has been used for eternity (lol) The Arabs named It the father of all foods.

# It lowers cholesterol
# Contains essential enzymes needed to efficiently digest food
# Alfalfa is a great digestive aid
# Aids in healing peptic ulcers
# Aids the kidneys in ridding the body of excess fluid and regulates the bowels
# Helps the body fight off infection
# Alfalfa has a long history of health benefits. Some consider it a superfood!
# Alfalfa is rich in vitamins
# Alfalfa is rich in minerals
# Alfalfa is high in protein

Check It out - It's amazing!!

x NICE x
NICE
NICE

Male
Number of posts : 14
Hobbies : EVERYTHING AND NOTHING..
Tell us about yourself : I AM GENUINELY NICE..
Appreciation Points : 23
Registration date : 2010-09-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being October 1st 2010, 12:47 pm

Sounds Great, i would like to try this when i have the means to do so, i haven't been eating to healthy, as of late due to lack of funds, but when i get a chance ill pick some up.

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrowhawk October 3rd 2010, 1:37 pm

Hi Spirit-Being,

I once was down to $87.50 , it was all I had for food. I was asked to give it all away! I protested and then surrendered..............the next day I gave it all away. I collected wild herbs for my own nutritional tea and was happy as could be, though penniless. A week passed....

A miracle occurred.........
An old dept was paid to the tune of $5,000.00
A prayer was answered after I gave it all away.

I am not telling you to give away that which remains. It will not work in that manner. What I am saying is simply "Though you perceive yourself to be short on funds, it is only perception. You are rich beyond imagination and it will manifest from within. Do not be afraid to ask for Divine help, but do reflect deeply upon each request. Then Pay very close attention to what arises in the quietest moments."

Alfalfa can be found in the wild and brewed into tea.

Pine needles, red clover, and comfrey leaves are still in season. All make a nutritional tea.
"20,000 Secrets of Tea by Victoria Zak" will teach about many more herbs and their secrets!
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by d-knots October 6th 2010, 9:52 pm

recently I've been
drinking olive leaf tea....
I had some capsules
and boiled some water
and put the olive leaf from the capsule
in and drank it like a tea..
first time, and I liked it!
the tea was superb cold
but I like heated tea as well.
I did it all without the bag.
OLIVUS.com is a good site to
see and read about it....
Tree Hug ...LOL
LOVE
d-knots
d-knots
Administrators
Administrators

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being October 7th 2010, 6:34 pm

Thanks so much Sparrowhawk, your story is very Inspiring, miracles happen all the time, i just Love hearing them, it strengthens my Faith. I found alot of Comfort in Your words, i do feel rich in Love & Spirituality Dreaming

I have some Herbs that i planted, Mainly Lavender & Sage which are my 2 Favorite Herbs for Tea, i feel so good when i drink them, i also use them for Smudging from Time to time. If i run out, i will try to rememebr that there are many wild ingredients out there for Teas.

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being October 7th 2010, 6:35 pm

Olive Tea Leaf sounds Wonderful, maybe ill be able to try this sometime Dreaming

Many Blessings
Spirit-Being
Spirit-Being
Founder
Founder

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrowhawk October 7th 2010, 8:51 pm

Spirit-Being wrote:Thanks so much Sparrowhawk, your story is very Inspiring, miracles happen all the time, i just Love hearing them, it strengthens my Faith. I found alot of Comfort in Your words, i do feel rich in Love & Spirituality Dreaming

I have some Herbs that i planted, Mainly Lavender & Sage which are my 2 Favorite Herbs for Tea, i feel so good when i drink them, i also use them for Smudging from Time to time. If i run out, i will try to rememebr that there are many wild ingredients out there for Teas.

Many Blessings

You are most welcome......
Faith will grow until it is transformed into Knowing.
Carl Jung was asked if he believed in God......
He chuckled and said "Believe?.........I Know"
He was one of the ones who inspired me not to quit until I knew.....
Knowing is felt as an ecstatic state , as happy as one good possibly be without falling over dead!
Getting there is the hard part .......
Being there is the easy part.

Yesterday I met a reporter who listened to me and wants to do a story when my book is finished.
Several hours later while walking in the woods I punctured my eye and it is infected..........
I did not go to the doctor......
I am using my herbal knowledge to conquer this.
Today I saw a seagull who would not eat his fish......
I looked closer and noticed his fish was a lure and it was stuck in his mouth and too his wing.......
I gave his location to a worker at a nearby bird sanctuary,
I said "Someone needs to help this bird, or tomorrow you will have to help the fox which catches the bird and is stuck in the lure too. If you wait two days, you will have to deal with the eagle which comes to eat the fox and you will have three of them stuck together."
If I had not injured my eye I would not have been in that area to help that bird, fox and eagle. I was there because I was on my way to a natural food store to get some belladonna and eyebright.

Life sure does throw a good curve ball. Yet, I am hugely fortunate to not have torn this eye to pieces, I was not in the moment for just one moment! I will never forget to remain focused .......God is funny, very funny!
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla2 October 8th 2010, 5:35 am

Nettle tea is also good, one of my favourite teas.

Beautiful story Sparrowhawk, I do hope the person from the sanctuary took action straight away.
Life sure is strange, as you so rightly say, if you had not damaged your eye, you would have probably been somewhere else, that seagull sure had its lucky day when you came along at the right moment.

How is your eye? hope the herb relieved your soreness.

Well-done to that reporter who obviously saw something in you that no other reporter spotted, good luck with your story.

Once again my theory is " you never know whats round the next corner" sounds like your day turned out very worthwhile.
Vanilla2
Vanilla2
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 1209
Appreciation Points : 1613
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by d-knots October 8th 2010, 7:28 pm

SH
I understand what eyebright does
but the belladonna is for what?
I very much like the way you write.....
Creative Blessings

SB, olive leaf tea is tastier cool
but its a healing tea....like a medicine
except when you sweeten it
the reality of it's healing is masked
and the sweets can bother some tummys...LOL

Personally, I mix it with other herbs...

I have to read that book you suggested
by Zak, SH. Interested whats in it....

SH, what is ST Roberts Wort
hearing of this for the first time?
d-knots
d-knots
Administrators
Administrators

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrowhawk October 8th 2010, 9:18 pm

Belladonna is anti-viral and anti-bacterial plus it helps relieve eye pain, so it calms the optic nerve.

Stevia is a sweetener which is synergistic with the healing properties of herbs. I use it in my tea and its first noticeable effect besides zero calories was this: It is anti-dentist. Stevia makes the dentist no longer needed and eliminates all painful dental bills. Stevia is the dentists worst nightmare, no more vacation cottages and yachts, instead.............the unemployment line!

St. Roberts Wort, is a part of the wild germanium family, not the wild german family, but rather rich in germanium. This element is needed to transport oxygen within each cell and is thus, anti-cancer.
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda October 15th 2010, 2:36 pm

STEVIA'S HEALING PROPERTIES??? i didn't know that, that got me to thinking, My brother in law stays with us. and has forever complained about tooth-aches. but hasn't complained for the last few months. He has stopped using sugar and uses only stevia. i think i'll buys some next time i go shopping.
thanks for the tips sparrowhawk (-:
Linda
Linda
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 757
Hobbies : Living
Tell us about yourself : I feel at peace outdoors, listening to nature, the birds to the bubbling creek, recharges my soul.
Appreciation Points : 1030
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparrowhawk October 15th 2010, 2:48 pm

You are most welcome Linda......

Don't forget the "Good-Bye Card" for the dentist too!
Sparrowhawk
Sparrowhawk

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by d-knots November 7th 2010, 9:25 pm

me too! love the info, LOVE you PeePs...LOL

Keep Info Coming..... Amen
d-knots
d-knots
Administrators
Administrators