Spiritual Forums - Spirits Journey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kew's Millennium Seed Bank.

3 posters

Go down

Kew's Millennium Seed Bank. Empty Kew's Millennium Seed Bank.

Post by Vanilla2 October 15th 2009, 8:09 am

Following on from our recent topic (Paradise) on the re-storing/re-building/re-birthing of our earth, I feel inspired to be posting this.

Quote: Today, 60,000 to 100,000 species of plant are faced with the threat of extinction. Kew's Millennium Seed Bank partnership aims to save plants world wide with a focus on plants most at risk and most useful for the future.

Plants are dying out largely due to the activities of people. Clearing of primary vegetation, over-exploitation and climate change are all causing species losses.

We need plants, because plants are useful. Plants provide the air we breathe, they provide clean water, fuel, building materials, fibres, resins and we all rely on plants for food.

Plants also play a vital role in combating climate change. Plants maintain the atmosphere and counteract climate change by absorbing carbon dioxide, turning it into plant material. Kew’s projects are supporting plants in mitigating and adapting to our changing climate.

Over 30,000 species of plant are edible, but we use only a tiny fraction of these in commercial agriculture. In the future we may well need a much greater range of species, particularly if climate change alters growing seasons or the world’s population continues to increase and we run out of prime agricultural land.

Plants are also vital for medicine. About 70% of the world’s population relies on traditional plant remedies for medicine. Only one in five plant species have been screened for use in medicine. Cures for diseases could lie in many of these unscreened species: Un-Quote.

I feel this is a big step in the right diection, we have 50 countries all involved, with Kew UK being the largest, so I say there is hope for our next generations futures. Link..........

http://www.kew.org/science-conservation/conservation-climate-change/millennium-seed-bank/index.htm
Vanilla2
Vanilla2
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 1209
Appreciation Points : 1613
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Kew's Millennium Seed Bank. Empty Re: Kew's Millennium Seed Bank.

Post by WhiteShaman October 15th 2009, 11:03 am

Wow, Vanilla!
Now this is inspiring and I can’t thank you enough for sharing it. I never heard of such a thing but believe it or not, I actually had similar thoughts except with threatened animal species.
I will look deeper into this and support it.
This is the type of change we need and is vital to our growth, physically and spiritually.
Maybe you could add this link to Liberatedsouls latest post as another way we can create the paradise we desire.
Awesome!
Peace and Blessings,
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male
Number of posts : 495
Hobbies : Art, Nature, Volunteer work
Appreciation Points : 543
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla2 October 15th 2009, 11:13 am

Yes the more the better Thumb
Vanilla2
Vanilla2
Administrators
Administrators

Female
Number of posts : 1209
Appreciation Points : 1613
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Serenity - Dawn October 15th 2009, 11:49 am

That's a beautiful post Vanilla 2!!

This is a possitive, and great way to make this world a better place...
Serenity - Dawn
Serenity - Dawn

Female
Number of posts : 284
Hobbies : I love astral travelling...
Tell us about yourself : I love animals, and nature. I believe we all come from the same Divine Sacred Source, and we are all entwined as one, with the universe.
Appreciation Points : 307
Registration date : 2009-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteShaman October 16th 2009, 12:16 pm

I took some time last night to look into this seed bank and I found out that there are many seed banks all over the world!
This particular one was mentioned in an article of being hard hit by the recession. It appears to be very expensive to maintain these seeds.
the whole concept and activity is amazing though and again I sit in wonder as to why I never knew of such things taking place in the world.
I guess it is our duty as awakened spiritual beings to spread such good news.
Peace and Blessings,
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman
WhiteShaman

Male
Number of posts : 495
Hobbies : Art, Nature, Volunteer work
Appreciation Points : 543
Registration date : 2009-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum