The Elephant and the Fly

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Elephant and the Fly

Post by Wind-Dancer on April 20th 2009, 11:47 pm

The Elephant and the Fly
By Remez Sasson

A disciple and his teacher were walking through the forest. The disciple was disturbed by the fact that his mind was in constant unrest.

He asked his teacher: "Why most people's minds are restless, and only a few possess a calm mind? What can one do to still the mind?"

The teacher looked at the disciple, smiled and said:
"I will tell you a story. An elephant was standing and picking leaves from a tree. A small fly came, flying and buzzing near his ear. The elephant waved it away with his long ears. Then the fly came again, and the elephant waved it away once more".

This was repeated several times. Then the elephant asked the fly:
"Why are you so restless and noisy? Why can't you stay for a while in one place?"

The fly answered: "I am attracted to whatever I see, hear or smell. My five senses pull me constantly in all directions and I cannot resist them. What is your secret? How can you stay so calm and still?"

The elephant stopped eating and said:
"My five senses do not rule my attention. Whatever I do, I get immersed in it. Now that I am eating, I am completely immersed in eating. In this way I can enjoy my food and chew it better. I rule and control my attention, and not the other way around."

Upon hearing these words, the disciple's eyes opened wide and a smile appeared on his face. He looked at his teacher and said:
"I understand! If my five senses are in control of my mind and attention, then my mind is in constant unrest. If I am in charge of my five senses and attention, then my mind becomes calm".

"Yes, that's right", answered the teacher, " The mind is restless and goes wherever the attention is. Control your attention, and you control your mind".

Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 673
Hobbies : gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, reading
Tell us about yourself : Im half cherokee and half irish.Im very proud of my heritage. Im a rebel at heart.
Appreciation Points : 931
Registration date : 2008-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Elephant and the Fly

Post by parrotlover100 on April 21st 2009, 1:05 am

that was a very good teaching.It will help me to calm my racing mind when i am obsessed with a bunch of nonsense.that keeps me from focusing on one thought at a time. Very Happy

parrotlover100

Female
Number of posts : 455
Hobbies : reading
Appreciation Points : 428
Registration date : 2008-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being on April 23rd 2009, 2:52 am

This story fits my life like a piece of a puzzle. I am that fly buzzing constantly, the elephant is the light that i have been seeking. I seem to get so much out of stories that have a teaching in it.

Thanks for sharing

Many Blessings

Quantum Alchemy
Spirit-Being
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 2276
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature
Appreciation Points : 2686
Registration date : 2008-09-14

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/spiritsjourneyforum

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum