Addictions & Spirituality

Go down

Addictions & Spirituality

Post by Spirit-Being on March 16th 2009, 7:21 pm

I thought this would make a great discussion, i struggle with many addictions in my life daily as do the millions upon billions of people. I find that fun itself can be addicting, for instance i used to be addicted to online gaming, i just recently started up playing these games again and i feel that addiction starting up again. I think about these games most of the day, and when i have spare time all i want to do is play these games. It is interfering with my spiritual work. It seems there is not enough time in the day. The game is very fun sometimes i think it is too much fun, and that is why i posted this. I am addicted to fun....

Are any addictions healthy? Do you think addictions get in the way of your spiritual growth?

Please share your experiences i really need to hear them maybe if we all chip in here we could move further along the Spiritual Path (Journey)

Many Blessings

Quantum Alchemy
Spirit-Being
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 2277
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature
Appreciation Points : 2689
Registration date : 2008-09-14

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/spiritsjourneyforum

Back to top Go down

Re: Addictions & Spirituality

Post by Galatea on March 23rd 2009, 3:03 am

Ah, I used to be addicted to online gaming as well, like World of Warcraft as the major culprit! I know when I play any game for hours, I do forget the sense of being here with my purpose which leads me to not pay attention to more pressing matters like college work. Also, being kept in doors can be dizzying for me, I notice that I have more of a temper and I can get annoyed easily.

What has helped me a lot was taking up hobby which I must do outside of the home. Right now it is doing martial arts 6 times a week. I rarely have time to play serious games like World of Warcraft, now I just play simple puzzle games. Also, I have been feeling better ever since doing something physical, not only about toning up, but I do not get sad or frustrated as often since my chakras are benefiting from using energy creatively. Another note, going through a break-up, the physical activity has not allowed me to see how worthless my life is or I am. I feel great!

I believe you need to have fun and find things which you can enjoy. There is no wrong or right, everything amounts to what you want to do. Like my brother, he enjoys gaming and spends most of his days on the computer with rare interaction with his family. I do not think he has an addiction, but merely a choice he has made. That is how he wants to be. Of course though, his physical health is suffering for his decision and most of his money goes to his gaming purposes instead of saving money, again, I could talk to him about why he should not be doing this and that but I doubt he would listen or feel the need to change.

Hm, in Hawaii, we have a lot of people who absolutely love surfing, they have to go to the beach at least every day and some people revolve their life around surfing. By doing this they might not have time to be aware of spirituality and may not be interested in other worldly matters. Which is fine. Not everyone came to Earth in this life to be a spiritual advocator, or lead a lifestyle engrossed in the spiritual work. They may have came here to experience what they wanted to, including my brother.

I have recently come to know a girl and the reason I met her is obviously one of purpose. She is dependent on pot and other drugs and she is also interested in knowing more about spirituality. From the two times I have met her in-person (we mostly talk over Yahoo), I know that her purpose is not to be engrossed in spiritual knowing. She is involved with drugs for a good reason, whatever it may be to her Higher Self, and spirituality will play a very tiny role.
In our last meeting, she has told me that the only job she has managed to get is to be dealing drugs. Naturally, red flags went up in my mind and I wanted to reach in and pull her away from going down that particular path. Yet, I saw in her eyes that she told me this because she trusted me and what she needed was acceptance. I took this in stride and told her to be careful. No amount of spiritual words or Divine help could make her change her decision in that moment. I know once she is ready to do other things in her life the right tools and people will come to her to help her further grow.

Anyways, it is okay to a gamer! When you want to, you will decide when to stop or not or whatever reasoning comes your way. :pirat:

Galatea

Female
Number of posts : 13
Hobbies : Reading, art, friends, Martial arts, swimming, roleplaying...
Tell us about yourself : Hello :) I'm currently in college and continuing my spiritual learning.
Appreciation Points : 6
Registration date : 2009-03-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being on March 23rd 2009, 4:32 pm

Thank You so much Galatea Big Help Smile

I do love gaming i always have, i just love being a part of a group where i usually only play online games that deal with the group, i love interacting. My main concern is can i balance spirituality and gaming can i bring some of my spiritual knowledge to some of the people on the game that may need it? Can i help others? These are just some of the questions i ask myself from time to time. This is why i love these forums i feel close to all the people here and i am grateful to be able to learn and help, you all are my good friends and i love you.

Many Blessings

Quantum Alchemy
Spirit-Being
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Hobbies : Reading, Creating Things, Music, Meditating, and Being a part of Nature

Back to top Go down

Post by Wind-Dancer on March 24th 2009, 2:19 pm

With the massive success of World of Warcraft Everquest and other role playing games, it is no surprise that we are seeing marriages ripped apart by gaming addictions. People start to play these games and get so involved that they cannot see anything else in RL (real life for you non-gamers). Those that aren't gamers sit and wonder what the lure is to role playing games that make them so addictive to those of us who are gamers.

So just what is the appeal that role playing games hold over us?

It seems that the lure to role playing games is that we can be who we want to be and be in control. You can choose to be good or bad, pretty or ugly, anything that you want to be... and you are in control of it all. You control everything from how your toon looks to what professions you choose to where you go in the game and everything else. You can choose to be a jerk or be nice, you can choose to spend the day fishing or questing... you are in total control.

These role playing games offer us a chance to control everything in our gaming world, yet still offers rules and parameters to keep us in line. There are enough rules here in the role play game world that we can still feel like normal people, even though we know it is a game. We become so immersed in trying to "win" in the game, where we can't seem to "win" in real life, so we play more and more and more, until the addiction takes too firm a hold on us.

So, it is no wonder that those of us who find areas of our own lives out of control are drawn to role playing games . These games offer us a chance to finally control everything and be who we want to be. We are now cool and involved, and we can make money easily and not worry about bills in a game.

The problem comes when we become so addicted that we forget to do the basic things in real life that keep us going - such as work, cleaning the house, eating, sleeping, and living. This is where people find that they will sit and play a game for 8 hours straight and never eat, sleep, or bother to leave the computer for longer than a minute. This is where the addiction comes in and beckons for help from others.

With the massive appeal of role playing games to many different types of people throughout the world, there will be no shortage of players for them. But, with the problems that come with role playing games for those who have addictive natures, there will always be those stories of marriages falling apart, losing homes or cars because of work, and more. It seems that there are the beginnings of help for those with role playing game addictions out there, but more needs to be done for those with serious gaming problems that are ruining their lives.

Mandi Weems.

Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 673
Hobbies : gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, reading
Tell us about yourself : Im half cherokee and half irish.Im very proud of my heritage. Im a rebel at heart.
Appreciation Points : 931
Registration date : 2008-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamer on March 24th 2009, 2:31 pm

hmm...Personally I think if someone has an addictive personality, it doesn't matter what "vehicle" the addiction comes in. What I mean is I can smoke pot and not be addicted (and have), I can smoke cigarettes and not be addicted (i have), I can drink and not be addicted ( I have), I can play online or video games and not become addicted (jury is still out LOL), I can have sex and not become addicted.
The game, pot, cigarettes, sex ...whatever...is not inherently "evil" but more that some people have an addictive personality.
BTW I don't think those with addictive personalities are "evil" either.
It is what it is, addiction. that's all.
Dreamer

Female
Number of posts : 117
Appreciation Points : 36
Registration date : 2008-12-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spirit-Being on May 27th 2009, 6:58 pm

Galatea wrote:I know when I play any game for hours, I do forget the sense of being here with my purpose which leads me to not pay attention to more pressing matters like college work. Also, being kept in doors can be dizzying for me, I notice that I have more of a temper and I can get annoyed easily.

This is what i have noticed as well, i have stayed away from online gaming this whole month of may, and i noticed a big change in myself, i was becomming an angry person, starting arguments for no reason, and since i stopped playing Games online i noticed i have much more time to do the things i need to do.

Many Blessings

Quantum Alchemy
Spirit-Being
Administrator
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Of Smooth on October 2nd 2009, 12:02 pm

Quite the pleasure be irresistable. The addicted mind stays too in touch we agree but life is just life, not like a person is found of more worth by the value of intentions to be in full detachment unless oneself would drop a taunt of a addiction but that there is quite a stir with rascal obsessions, these rascal obsessions offer an energy that consumes to comfort the ills or desertion within to the point of feeling that oneself is perfectly OK (a person is not an alien to do this but is just sensitive to indulging a certain way who may need some strong enough tolerant non-friction help), but the point made is that there are distractions to carry on life that with hold much responsibility. Best have a substitute to a scary ritual, we must be prepared, taking careful planning and full investigation to how to reach such a goal. Now, I believe gaming can be sweet as it is character responsive - in a mature form of indulging but when others who demand our trust are presently involved in our life we need to put aside the addictions we have held and attend the miracle of family union with those close bearing to us have had.

I believe in you who I read now.
Vibe Of Smooth

Male
Number of posts : 35
Hobbies : Anything Spirtual
Tell us about yourself : Easy Listener
Appreciation Points : 40
Registration date : 2009-10-01

View user profile http://very-spiritual-books.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by canadianmind on October 10th 2009, 9:49 am

Chemical addictions (drugs, booze pills etc), are usualy casued by the person using the drug as a crutch. This means, lets say i break up with my GF and im sad and depressed, but i find that booze makes me feel better. So every day to " drown my pain ", and boom in a years time or so id be addicted to drinking ( as far as i know i have no addictions, even smoking is by HABIT, luckily for me i dont get cravings, it just feels wrong if i dont have a smoke in my hand).

Now video games, or gambling is a different story. Its funny that you should mention world of warcraft. I know many many people who play this game ( its actualy a very addicting game), and some are worse then others, but they all tend to have times when they shut themselves in fer a day or to to accomplish something on it.

Now my one buddys little brother, he seemed like a good kid, a little bit of a loud mouth ( i cant even complain about that im pretty cocky myself), but hes played that game for years, he has no friends ( his family is is barley talking to him), he has never had a job, no girlfriend ( never has), barley leaves his house( lives with his parents) and hes almost 22 years old. ITs almost disgusting ( I am not one to juge people, but i think this is a total waste of life, hes a smart kid).

I think id rather see my kid as an alcohilic and go out with his friends, all the time and still be able to work, then to be inside for the majority of 6 years, becoming more and more sentient. If i had to take a wild guess, id say he was outside no more then a month or 2 out of 6 years.

I think that its safe to say ( im sorry if i step on anyones toes), that usualy, people with addictions usualy have had some horrible event in there life, or there missing something that they wish they had. IT wouldnt suprise me if it was spiritual in nature.
canadianmind

Male
Number of posts : 272
Hobbies : Playing guitar, reading, self discovery,music, hiking, fishing, martial arts lots more
Tell us about yourself : Seeking to know more about myself, ourselves, and our connection to eatchother and the universe
Appreciation Points : 342
Registration date : 2009-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum