Spiritual Forums - Spirits Journey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The importance of reading

3 posters

Go down

The importance of reading Empty The importance of reading

Post by Guest August 5th 2013, 1:17 pm

From Teeming brain

Soon college students all over America will be trundling to their advisers’ offices to choose a major. In this moment of financial insecurity, students are naturally drawn to economics, business, and the hard sciences. But students ought to resist the temptation of those purportedly money-ensuring options and even of history and philosophy, marvelous though they may be. All students — and I mean all — ought to think seriously about majoring in English.

. . . English majors want the joy of seeing the world through the eyes of people who — let us admit it — are more sensitive, more articulate, shrewder, sharper, more alive than they themselves are. The experience of merging minds and hearts with Proust or James or Austen makes you see that there is more to the world than you had ever imagined. You see that life is bigger, sweeter, more tragic and intense — more alive with meaning than you had thought.

Real reading is reincarnation. There is no other way to put it. It is being born again into a higher form of consciousness than we ourselves possess. When we walk the streets of Manhattan with Walt Whitman or contemplate our hopes for eternity with Emily Dickinson, we are reborn into more ample and generous minds. “Life piled on life / Were all too little,” says Tennyson’s “Ulysses,” and he is right. Given the ragged magnificence of the world, who would wish to live only once? The English major lives many times through the astounding transportive magic of words and the welcoming power of his receptive imagination. The economics major? In all probability he lives but once. If the English major has enough energy and openness of heart, he lives not once but hundreds of times. Not all books are worth being reincarnated into, to be sure — but those that are win Keats’s sweet phrase: “a joy forever.”

. . . Love for language, hunger for life, openness and a quest for truth: Those are the qualities of my English major in the ideal form. But of course now we’re talking about more than a mere academic major. We’re talking about a way of life. We’re talking about a way of living that places inquiry into how to live in the world — what to be, how to act, how to move through time — at its center.

What we’re talking about is a path to becoming a human being, or at least a better sort of human being than one was at the start. An English major? To me an English major is someone who has decided, against all kinds of pious, prudent advice and all kinds of fears and resistances, to major, quite simply, in becoming a person. Once you’ve passed that particular course of study — or at least made some significant progress on your way — then maybe you’re ready to take up something else.

Back to top Go down

The importance of reading Empty Re: The importance of reading

Post by laura ann August 5th 2013, 5:00 pm

I have traveled the universe and never left my chair!

I have tasted exotic fruits, seen the bottom of slave ships, held the shakles within my heart.

I have felt the Caribean winds blow across my brow as I walked the oceans shores, and tasted the luscious grapes in the  south of France.

I have  have seen the night sky as I lay back in a gondola and listened to  a gondolier sing a  husky Italian ballad, and walked the  ancient cobbled streets with  the monks in a small English town.

Have held beautiful  cabochons in an Egyptian shop, glorified in the   sweet aromas of the spice houses in  Marakesh.

and never left my chair>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
laura ann
laura ann
Administrators
Administrators

Number of posts : 664
Appreciation Points : 1026
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 6th 2013, 2:37 am

laura ann wrote:I have traveled the universe and never left my chair!

I have tasted exotic fruits, seen the bottom of slave ships, held the shakles within my heart.

I have felt the Caribean winds blow across my brow as I walked the oceans shores, and tasted the luscious grapes in the  south of France.

I have  have seen the night sky as I lay back in a gondola and listened to  a gondolier sing a  husky Italian ballad, and walked the  ancient cobbled streets with  the monks in a small English town.

Have held beautiful  cabochons in an Egyptian shop, glorified in the   sweet aromas of the spice houses in  Marakesh.

and never left my chair>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Love it

Back to top Go down

Post by laura ann August 6th 2013, 8:03 am

I cannot imagine a life without books.
I love them always have since a small child.
I remember I read  100 books in the fifth grade lol.

All genres from mysteries to biographies to the classics.

My fear is I will get in  old age to where I can no longer read them even with a magnifying glass.

No where near that yet but is probably one of my greatest fears in life.. more then  any disability I think.
laura ann
laura ann
Administrators
Administrators

Number of posts : 664
Appreciation Points : 1026
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest August 6th 2013, 12:27 pm

Me too

Back to top Go down

Post by ATouchofHeart August 7th 2013, 8:49 am

Great post Stephen. The world is within our fingertips. 

Your post summoned me to browse the web and I found this page for kids on reading.

They have a paranormal page...........http://www.abookandahug.com/paranormal

This one book ..............Dreamland
http://abookandahug.com/paranormal-2/21888-dreamlandrileybloomseriesbookthree

overview.........
After dying in a car wreck Riley finds herself in place called Here, where the time is always Now. Finding out that the Afterlife is not just a time of leisure, she is given the job of Soul Catcher and her teacher is a boy named Bodhi. Her job is to help lost souls find their way across the bridge toward the next step of their afterlife.
Riley has helped many souls cross over who have been in the Afterlife for a long time. Now she is ready for a break and wants to contact her sister Ever back on Earth by entering her dreams.
She goes to the place where dreams can happen and ends up meeting the director who tells her that you can enter dreams two ways. You can be a Dream Jumper or you can be a Dream Weaver. However, Dream Weaving was outlawed years ago but, seeing it as her only option, she sets out to find the deserted studio where they used to happen.
While there she meets a ghost boy who loves to create and send nightmares to people. To be able to get to her sister, she will have to confront him and overcome some of own fears.

Paranormal - for 14 and up readers
published in 2011 - wish they had it when I was a kid. Wink 
ATouchofHeart
ATouchofHeart

Female
Number of posts : 808
Location : Southern, California on a Indian Reservation. Search for truth in Spirituality.
Hobbies : Everything Spiritual, Machine Embroidery, Quilting, Writing Poetry, Computer and creative software, Writing, Artwork.....never bored.
Tell us about yourself : I’m a widow; I lost my spouse April 16, 1999 to a broken heart and Cancer. He was a Native American. I have lived on his Reservation in California for 37 years. We were married 23 years. We had two children, lost one to a drunk driver in 97 before my spouse died. I started my spiritual journey when son passed; but woke up to spirituality abruptly June 2009 when I had an event reading by James Van Praagh and he brought through eight deceased relatives. I would love to be a medium in the future, and share that spiritual connection with those who have lost. I take photos of spirits in clouds. One of my favorite spirit photographs at night is an apparition of a Native American Male.
Appreciation Points : 972
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussiepom August 7th 2013, 10:52 am

Such an interesting topic.     I have travelled in my dreams.     Visions I have never seen before.....

Spirit is a wonderful place.....

Joan xx
Aussiepom
Aussiepom

Female
Number of posts : 818
Hobbies : Reading,swimming and Spiritualism
Tell us about yourself : Widowed 6 years ago.
Appreciation Points : 891
Registration date : 2012-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down