Discussion "in a civilized way!"?

Go down

Post by sunmystic on March 29th 2013, 2:05 pm

This topic has been split from another topic and the subject of "What is discussion in a civilized way?" is now open for everyone and anyone, who is interested in discussing it, to discuss it Smile . I have placed this new topic in the forum "Debate" because I feel that everybody who wishes to should comment and discuss what they might consider what "discussing things in a civilized way" means. And those of us that are "staff" as well as those of us that are members should probably have a look at what everybody, who wishes to be involved, has to say about "discussion in a civilized way" and because with the way that this forum website is set up, some forums are open to debate type discussions and some forums are not open to debate types of discussion. Sunmystic

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mia wrote:Good post Laura.
You and sunny have a better way with words than I xxx

Personally Mia, I think that you do an excellent job with words, Laura and I are just good at being argumentative Smile . And we love you! sunny

Last edited by sunmystic on March 29th 2013, 7:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
sunmystic
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 944
Hobbies : none
Tell us about yourself : I love the loving Divine
Appreciation Points : 1034
Registration date : 2010-12-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Discussion "in a civilized way!"?

Post by mia on March 29th 2013, 2:44 pm

Personally Mia, I think that you do an excellent job with words, Laura and I are just good at being argumentative Smile . And we love you! sunny

dunno about argumentive ...... you are just good at putting thoughts into words and in such a way, no one is offended.
I am worried I would offend xxx

mia
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 977
Hobbies : Gardening, Driving,card crafting
Tell us about yourself : See my intro
Appreciation Points : 1355
Registration date : 2009-05-16

View user profile http://miasjourney.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by laura ann on March 29th 2013, 3:05 pm

Laura and I are just good at being argumentative Smile
Having a discussion and nicely disagreeing with someones doctrines is not being argumentative. It is called adult conversation. I cant say I much appreciated your words but they are YOURS to say.
laura ann

Number of posts : 739
Appreciation Points : 999
Registration date : 2012-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sunmystic on March 29th 2013, 3:06 pm

mia wrote:

dunno about argumentative ...... you are just good at putting thoughts into words and in such a way, no one is offended.
I am worried I would offend xxx

Mia, look at the face in your avatar picture and tell me Smile that that is a face of someone who would offend someone else. I don't think so Smile ! Sunny
sunmystic
Administrator
Administrator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sunmystic on March 29th 2013, 3:15 pm

laura ann wrote:
Laura and I are just good at being argumentative Smile
Having a discussion and nicely disagreeing with someones doctrines is not being argumentative. It is called adult conversation. I cant say I much appreciated your words but they are YOURS to say.

I was out of line Laura Ann, I apologize. I was under the impression that Debate was a civilized Argument. And that Debating was when both sides of the Argument was presented and discussed. Again Laura Ann I apologize and I will see that it "never" happens again. Sunmystic
sunmystic
Administrator
Administrator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laura ann on March 29th 2013, 3:31 pm

Debate was a civilized Argument
When you say it like that then I guess it would be a form of civilized arguing.Just the term arguement is negative and I think that is the rub of it all.
To discuss is a fluid sharing of thoughts and ideas with out arguement.
Don't be so sensitive to words and I will try to not be either....
Now it is hijacked.geez
laura ann

Number of posts : 739
Appreciation Points : 999
Registration date : 2012-04-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sunmystic on March 29th 2013, 4:49 pm

laura ann wrote:
Debate was a civilized Argument
When you say it like that then I guess it would be a form of civilized arguing.Just the term arguement is negative and I think that is the rub of it all.
To discuss is a fluid sharing of thoughts and ideas with out arguement.
Don't be so sensitive to words and I will try to not be either....
Now it is hijacked.geez

I was the President of the Debate Team in school, so I think of everything as a debate when opposite sides of an argument are presented and discussed in a civilized manor.

"Argue", 1. To put forth reasons for or against; debate.
"Argument", 1a. A discussion in which disagreement is expressed; a debate.
"Argumentative", 1 Given to "arguing" (to put forth reasons for or against; debate).

I am argumentative and I do not consider it negative if it is done in a civilized way. I consider it presenting a "debate" for discussion and bringing balance to what is being discussed. And I in turn expect others to do the same, if they wish, when I present something. Some folks are unhappy if you present the opposite of what they are saying and they do not want to debate it. These folks consider the word argumentative in a negative way. I only consider it argumentative as a negative if it is not done in a civilized way. Message boards are for discussion and if a person does not want what they say to be discussed, then they should publish what they say in a non message board reality (that way what they say can be discussed behind their back and they do not know about it Smile ). "Activity" is the life of a message board and argumentative/creating discussion (if it is done in a civilized way!), along with posting information, is what creates "Activity" in a conventional message board reality. Anyway Laura Ann it is my fault that you assumed that I ment it in a negative way and I will see that it "never" happens again. And Laura Ann and all of you guys, if you wish, please continue to be argumentative Smile discussion is the "bread and butter" of message board activity (salt, sugar, and the spice Smile !). You guys are loved! Sunmystic
sunmystic
Administrator
Administrator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mia on March 29th 2013, 5:51 pm

I am one who won't join in a debate, or. if I do, don't realise it is one lol.
I may ask questions, but, won't say I disagree cos each have our own truth.
I may say what my truth is .... perhaps.
I don't mind discussions though xx

mia
Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 977
Hobbies : Gardening, Driving,card crafting
Tell us about yourself : See my intro
Appreciation Points : 1355
Registration date : 2009-05-16

View user profile http://miasjourney.weebly.com/index.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Vanilla2 on March 30th 2013, 7:24 am

I am similar to Mia, I say my peace ( my view, ) nothing more, nothing les. Rose 3

Administrator
Administrator

Female
Number of posts : 1209
Appreciation Points : 1613
Registration date : 2009-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on March 30th 2013, 8:12 am

I feel the same as Mia and Taurus.

Back to top Go down

Post by sunmystic on March 30th 2013, 2:18 pm

You guys are a lot more advanced that I am Smile . To me everything is "minds at play", and I learn from interacting with these minds at play. To me "in a civilized way" means anything that is beneath management's "radar". Anything that is above the "radar" is considered not civilized and acceptable and anything that is below the "radar" is considered civilized and acceptable. And the truly gifted disruptive folks are always below management's "radar". What I have been doing, to some extent, because I am jr. staff on this message board, has been to explore the "radar" level of upper management. On some message boards and with some of the members of this message board, what I have been doing would be considered above the "radar" and not acceptable. And what I have learned from this experience is that we have a pretty cool upper message board management and message board members.

So, now that everybody that is interested is present I need to ask this question. "Are there any forums on this message board where a debate type discussion (more than one side of a subject is presented for discussion) is not acceptable?" Anybody? sunmystic
sunmystic
Administrator
Administrator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sunmystic on March 30th 2013, 2:33 pm

It should also be said that because I am "jr. staff", that I can not and will not delete anybodies post or posts or any part of anybodies post or posts. Anything that is "deleted" from this message board will have to be deleted by upper message board management. sunmystic
sunmystic
Administrator
Administrator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down