Spiritual Forums - Spirits Journey Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dr. Sam Parnia

5 posters

Go down

Dr. Sam Parnia  Empty Dr. Sam Parnia

Post by Guest March 6th 2013, 11:53 am

On February 27, Dr. Sam Parnia was interviewed on the Coast to Coast AM radio program. Dr. Parnia is conducting the AWARE Study on near-death experiences (NDEs). As part of his research, he interviews patients who have suffered cardiac arrest. A summary of the interview was posted to a discussion forum by the member Wendybird.
During the interview, Dr. Parnia said the patients he has studied are not just having "near-death experiences", they are having "actual death experiences". They have been clinically dead for "minutes if not hours". The fact that some patients have memories of what was happening around them during that time is proof that consciouses survives death. Wendybird commented that at the outset of the research Parnia seemed skeptical but while conducting this research he became convinced that the afterlife is real.
Parnia refers to his cases in the AWARE study as “actual death experiences” (ADEs), because “they have objectively died for minutes if not hours”. He explains that these people “really were dead”, they were corpses, i.e., they had no heart beat, no brain function – they were actually dead, “not clinically dead, not nearly dead”, no playing around with the meaning of the words, as Parnia put it.
Regarding reversing death, Parnia explained that the medicine has progressed so far that now the dead can be resuscitated “many hours” after death. The decay of cells is a process that begins after death occurs (both heart and brain function cease). There’s a window of about 8 hours in which “brain cells are still viable, but not functioning.” That’s the key here – brain cells are NOT FUNCTIONING. After that window expires, they are so damaged they cannot be revived again. Parnia realizes that if we’d had the technology and knowledge we do today to reverse the death process, that when the Titanic sank in 1912, we’d have been able to revive many of the 1500 that died in the freezing waters of the North Atlantic – especially because the cold temperatures slow the decay of brain cells and keep them viable for hours (when the rescue ship Carpathia arrived, those people had only been in the water for two hours, within the 8-hour window to get the brain functioning again).
“We have millions and millions of people now who have essentially gone to the other side, beyond the threshold of death, they’ve entered what would have been considered the afterlife period, and they’re coming back and telling us what they experienced.” He compares it to our ability now to send men to the moon who can come back and tell us about it. We now routinely overcome death, and the people he’s studying are “like astronauts – we send them out to explore this other dimension” – they are going to the other side, and they’re able to tell us what they’ve experienced on the other side of death – “is there an afterlife and what shape does it take, and that’s a new science that’s evolving for us.”
In Parnia’s interview on Skeptiko a year or so ago, prior to the AWARE study, he seemed still to be on the fence, a bit skeptical of NDEs, even hinting he thought it was some effect of the brain. He even had proponents wondering if Parnia was setting up AWARE to fail... However, from hearing the NPR interview and this C2C interview, after reviewing in depth the ADE cases in his study, Parnia now clearly is convinced that consciousness continues to exist in some form after the heart and brain have ceased to function.
In addition to interviewing patients, the AWARE Study also involves placing some type of "target" in hospital rooms where they would not normally be seen, such as on the top of a high cabinet. The hope is that when interviewing the patients after cardiac arrest, they would have seen the target and could describe it, proving they had an out-of-body experience as part of their NDE. When I first heard this, I was concerned that people going through NDEs would not bother looking at pictures on top of file cabinets because they would be more concerned about what was happening down where their body was. I was afraid this was a poorly designed study that would lead to the false conclusion that NDE's were not genuine afterlife experiences. So, I am pleased to learn that Dr. Parnia has been whole-heartedly converted to belief in the afterlife from this work. I don't know if any of his patients have seen the targets, my impression is that his conversion has come from interviewing the patients about their experiences in the afterlife and their ability to describe what was happening around them while they were clinically dead.

Stephen

Back to top Go down

Dr. Sam Parnia  Empty Re: Dr. Sam Parnia

Post by shortangel March 6th 2013, 2:56 pm

I had heard about this study some time ago, especially the objects placed high up. I've always wondered what the outcome was, now we know, he must be convinced enough to change his mind, wonderful!

June
shortangel
shortangel

Number of posts : 38
Appreciation Points : 47
Registration date : 2013-02-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussiepom March 6th 2013, 2:59 pm

I read that recently,Stephen.

Brilliant idea as well.

What interests me is the fact that it proves we can die and come back from death.
If that is true that the consciousness leaves the body then there is our proof that there is life after death.
Not much but a start to bring belief into the world of life after death.
I wonder how long a NDE has normally lasted. Is it brief? Is it restricted to a certain time?
What happens the body if the consciousness overstays it's time?

Joan

Aussiepom
Aussiepom

Female
Number of posts : 818
Hobbies : Reading,swimming and Spiritualism
Tell us about yourself : Widowed 6 years ago.
Appreciation Points : 891
Registration date : 2012-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 7th 2013, 12:18 am

Good questions Joan.
Sorry I don't have a clue.
Stephen

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussiepom March 7th 2013, 9:17 am

Neither do I,Stephen.
I love to know all the ins and outs of things,they fascinate me.

Very Happy

Joan
Aussiepom
Aussiepom

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurus20 March 7th 2013, 10:39 am

There use to be a show on TV a couple of years ago and it was all about NDE's and I think the longest one I saw was 30 minutes. I couldn't believe they brought him back, or I should say he came back after 30 minutes. But I have also heard stories of people being in the morgue and coming back, so I guess if it's not your time to go you won't. Sometimes I think God just wants us to see the other side so we can come back and appreciate it more and also help others to understand.
Why do you think more Dr's than ever before are having the experiences! Enlightened
Taurus20
Taurus20

Female
Number of posts : 356
Hobbies : Meditation,reading, swimming,dancing and having fun .
Tell us about yourself : Looking for like minded people to connect with while on this spiritual journey.
Appreciation Points : 469
Registration date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussiepom March 7th 2013, 11:17 am

I think doctor's are looking into this experience more. So many more reports of NDE's than ever.

Maybe spirit thought doctors might learn more by experiencing NDE's themselves.

Spirit do have their sense of humour.... Very Happy

Joan x
Aussiepom
Aussiepom

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Taurus20 March 7th 2013, 8:33 pm

They certainly do! Rose 1
Taurus20
Taurus20

Female
Number of posts : 356
Hobbies : Meditation,reading, swimming,dancing and having fun .
Tell us about yourself : Looking for like minded people to connect with while on this spiritual journey.
Appreciation Points : 469
Registration date : 2013-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Julie53 March 15th 2013, 9:12 pm

I just found these informative posts, thanks Stephen for bringing this to our attention. How amazing that a doctor has been conducting this type of research on NDE's. I am sure that many doctors have patients die briefly then when resuscitated the doctors are told about accurate details of what went on in the hospital room or even other parts of the hospital their patients could never have visited. Though it isn't always shared with the general public the doctors and medical staff must always have questions when this happens.... Very Happy
Julie53
Julie53

Number of posts : 79
Appreciation Points : 92
Registration date : 2013-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest March 16th 2013, 1:17 am

I am glad you found them useful Julie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aussiepom March 16th 2013, 7:11 am

Taurus20 wrote:There use to be a show on TV a couple of years ago and it was all about NDE's and I think the longest one I saw was 30 minutes. I couldn't believe they brought him back, or I should say he came back after 30 minutes. But I have also heard stories of people being in the morgue and coming back, so I guess if it's not your time to go you won't. Sometimes I think God just wants us to see the other side so we can come back and appreciate it more and also help others to understand.
Why do you think more Dr's than ever before are having the experiences! Enlightened

You have a point there,Katt. Why are more doctors having these experiences?

NDE's sent by spirit to medical doctors to prove that they do happen. Like a lesson to be taught in class.

Wink

joan xx
Aussiepom
Aussiepom

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bhagavandas March 16th 2013, 8:50 pm

Are you speaking of the program called "Beyond and Back"? That was a good program. I wish they continued with it. I a highschooler who died in class, and he was 'out of the body' for about 30 minutes. It was pretty amazing. A fascinating program, and very believable. You could tell those people were telling the truth. And, amazingly, the stories usually describe very similar experiences and similar emotions.
Taurus20 wrote:There use to be a show on TV a couple of years ago and it was all about NDE's and I think the longest one I saw was 30 minutes. I couldn't believe they brought him back, or I should say he came back after 30 minutes. But I have also heard stories of people being in the morgue and coming back, so I guess if it's not your time to go you won't. Sometimes I think God just wants us to see the other side so we can come back and appreciate it more and also help others to understand.
Why do you think more Dr's than ever before are having the experiences!  Dr. Sam Parnia  312297
bhagavandas
bhagavandas

Male
Number of posts : 104
Hobbies : Hiking, Vegetarian Cooking
Tell us about yourself : I'm self-employed. I'm into Bhakti Yoga.
Appreciation Points : 148
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum